The Evolution of Strategy is an audiobook series from Rob Cesternino and Josh Wigler. It discusses in-depth each of the first 30 seasons of Survivor with an eye towards the strategic elements of the game.
The idea of The Evolution of Strategy began when, while recording a podcast, Wigler had mentioned that he often rewatches seasons of Survivor before that season's finale. Cesternino then postulated the idea to Wigler of doing a full series rewatch and chronicling their thoughts. The audiobook was first announced to the public on the episode 12 recap podcast on Survivor: San Juan Del Sur on December 11, 2014.
The two began recording the audiobook in July 2014. The first volume (covering Borneo through Palau) was released weekly from December 19, 2014 to February 20, 2015, in the offseason between Survivor: San Juan Del Sur and Survivor: Worlds Apart. The second and third volumes, covering the remaining seasons of the show up to that point, was released weekly from May 22 to September 21, 2015. The pace quickened in terms of production and release towards the tail end of the schedule, with the two recording up to the wire and releasing two seasons a week a couple of times.
The Evolution of Strategy takes an in-depth look of the first 30 seasons of Survivor. Each chapter corresponds to a single season, with each volume containing ten seasons. Each chapter runs in three to four "parts," which typically cover four to five episodes (with the exception of the first part, which usually covers only the season premiere). The exceptions are Amazon, All-Stars, and Heroes vs. Villains, which contain five parts. The audiobook contains discussion of a myriad of different Survivor subjects, including:
- Tribal Council by Tribal Council account of how players learned to play the game.
- Detailed discussion of each of the great strategic moves and its lasting impact on the game.
- Insights into behind the scenes events from having interviewed over 180 past Survivors.
- At the end of each chapter, Rob provides a list of the rankings of all the winners as they go along.
- Impressions from several different Survivor contestants.
Cesternino also created feedback pages for each chapter for listeners to post their thoughts and questions.
- Due to Wigler's participation on The Evolution of Strategy, he was chosen to be a fill-in host for Survivor Know-it-Alls during Survivor: Cambodia.
- Some Survivor castaways have listened to their respective season's coverage on The Evolution of Strategy, including John Carroll (Marquesas), Peih-Gee Law (China), and Randy Bailey and Kenny Huang (Gabon).