Aras (allegedly pronounced "Odd-us") Baskauskas is a two-time Survivor player and the winner of Survivor: Panama - Exile Island. He is a musician and tundra hat maker.
Aras Baskauskas completed his undergraduate program in three years and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from the University of California, Irvine. In 2003, he was named one of UC Irvine's "Most Eligible Bachelors" in the student newspaper. Baskauskas continued his education at UC Irvine and graduated from the Graduate School of Management, where he received his Masters in Business Administration. He is proudest of being the only student to have played NCAA Men's Division One basketball on scholarship while in the MBA program.
Baskauskas is a former professional basketball player, having played briefly overseas in Lithuania. After leaving the court, Aras moved to Capetown, South Africa, where he opened up a donation-based yoga studio. He currently works as a yoga instructor in Santa Monica, California. His hobbies include meditation, golf and surfing. He describes himself as outgoing, compassionate and genuine.
Aras started his game in Panama on Viveros, the younger men's tribe. When the tribes dissolved, he was picked to be a part of the Casaya tribe. Despite his alliance's chaotic nature and Terry Deitz's possession of a hidden Immunity Idol, he was able to make it to the end and win the game in a 5-2 vote. Fifteen seasons later, Aras returned to the game to compete on Survivor: Blood vs. Water with his brother Vytas. Aras was seen as a prominent leader throughout the pre-merge, but was blindsided at the merge in a betrayal led by Tyson Apostol. Aras was then promptly eliminated in the first post-merge Redemption Island "duel" of the season, and became the first member of the jury. Despite the initial blindside, he voted for his friend Tyson at the final Tribal Council.
Aras has engaged in several different activities between and after his Survivor seasons. In 2011, He founded Tundra Gear, a winter hat company. Also in 2011, he released his debut album, "The Tree and the River", under the stage name of "Odd Us," a take off on how his name should be properly pronounced. In 2013, he joined the band "My Swedish Friend," a parallel project to his ongoing music. On November 10th, 2013, Aras became engaged to his girlfriend, model Christy Petersen. They have one son, River, born May 29, 2014.
Aras first appeared on RHAP following the merge episode of Survivor: One World, where he spoke about the departure of Jonas Otsuji, the "poop or dirt" controversy, and answered several questions about his season.
Aras came back after episode 3 of Survivor: Philippines, where he talked about the decline of the Matsing tribe.
Aras returned for a supersized podcast following episode 6 of Survivor: Caramoan. In addition to talking about the events from the episode, Aras plays a game with fellow Survivor winner Ethan Zohn to determine whether Brandon Hantz or Mel Gibson said a series of crazy statements.
After participating on Survivor: Blood vs. Water, Aras came back to the podcast for his exit interview, where he tackled the following topics:
- Congratulations on the engagement
- Does Aras have a cheeseburger?
- Where does Aras think he lost his grip on control of the game to Tyson?
- What did Aras think about the way Tyson treated him after the tribe swap to begin turning the remaining loved ones against Aras?
- What does Aras believe are the differences between what happened and how the events were portrayed on the show?
- After Aras was eliminated from Redemption Island, why did Aras mention telling his grandkids about Gervase voting him out?
- Going back to the first episode, why did Aras cross out a few names and then cast a first vote for Gervase?
- Does Aras stand by his decision to vote out Laura Morett at the first tribal council?
- Does Aras stand by his decision to attempt to vote out Laura Morett a the first tribal council after the merge?
- How has playing the game with his brother, Vytas, affected their relationship?
- Will Aras attend the RHAP roast?
Aras recapped the two-hour premiere episode of Survivor: Cagayan, pulling double duty by also answering voicemails. He and Rob talk about the questionable decisions of the Brains tribe, talk about the "Tyler Perry Idol", and break down contestant Brice Izyah's song "Freak." Aras also formally announces that he will be having a boy and will be naming his son River. This is also the podcast where the Tony Vlachos quote "This is huge, I needed this" was first found and immortalized.
Aras filled in for Stephen Fishbach on the Know-It-Alls following episode 7 of Survivor: Cagayan.
Aras was a last-minute substitute for the episode 3 recap podcast of Survivor: San Juan Del Sur after initial pick Todd Herzog backed out. He talked about the return of Blood vs. Water, whether John Rocker reminded him of Brad Culpepper, and whether the people with loved ones still in the game will band together.
Aras came back for a full recap and voicemails podcast later on in San Juan Del Sur after episode 8. He answered a number of questions, including:
- Are Jon and Jaclyn doing a good job as the swing votes?
- Should a single pair up with a couple?
- How would Aras and Vytas fare on this season?
- Will a player with a “J” name win the game?
- Has San Juan Del Sur ruined the Blood vs Water format?
- Who needs to have the Whambulance called for them?
- Should a couple try to avoid being in the final 3 with one another?
- Why have Rob and Stephen been pro-Josh and Reed on the podcasts?
- Can Baylor break the all-time record for votes cast against a player in a season?
After taking a one-season break due to his brother's participation on Survivor: Cambodia, Aras came back to the podcast after the fourth episode of Survivor: Kaôh Rōng. He talked with Rob about the evacuation of Caleb Reynolds, the aggression against Alecia Holden, and the potential of another Survivor Family Feud.
Aras came onto the podcast after the third episode of Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X. He talked about his thoughts on the season's theme and the recent "summit," injury- and embarrassment-laden stories about the games Risk and Mafia, and whether or not Rob needs to go to Burning Man.
Aras talked with Rob in a studio sans power after the tenth episode of Survivor: Game Changers. He spoke about the game his Panama ally Cirie had been playing, including the focus on her completing a Reward Challenge in the most recent episode, his disagreement with the flip by Sarah Lacina, his fellow Blood vs. Water competitor Brad Culpepper, and whether he'll change his wife's business to the name "Christy Dawn Thomas"
Mr. Survivor 2014Edit
Since he competed on Survivor in the year 2013, Aras was an eligible contestant to be voted Mr. Survivor 2014. On February 4, 2014, Aras was revealed to be the fourth place vote getter in the first round of popular voting, meaning he could not move on to the next round. However, due to Hayden Moss being unresponsive for follow-up interviews, Aras was allowed to interview as a finalist.
In his finalist interview on February 15, he almost immediately jumped into his interview by starting with his talent of the song he wrote, then the party was quickly crashed by his brother Vytas. The two of them announced they would be competing as a pair to share the title of Mr. Survivor, and revealed to Rob that they had pored through the rulebook to find the lack of loophole. Vytas then showed off his stomach rolling talent, and the three talked a variety of topics. After participating in a live debate with fellow finalists Tyson Apostol and Malcolm Freberg, it was revealed on February 24 that Aras (and Vytas) had finished as runner-up with 30.8% of the final votes.
Other Appearances and FactsEdit
- Aras appeared on the "Survivor Roast of Rob Cesternino" on January 27, 2014.
- ↑ http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Aras_Baskauskas
- ↑ TundraGear.com
- ↑ http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20754335,00.html
- ↑ Survivor Winner Aras Baskauskas Dishes the ‘Dirt’ on Tarzan
- ↑ Aras on Why They Are Matsing-ing the Blues on Survivor
- ↑ A Super-Size Survivor Caramoan Podcast with “Stealth Aras”
- ↑ Talking with the Latest Player Eliminated from Survivor – 11/21/13
- ↑ Aras BBBaskauskas on the Survivor Cagayan Premiere
- ↑ Aras Guests on Know-It-Alls After Cagayan Ep #7
- ↑ Part 2 of the San Juan Del Sur Episode 3 with ARAS
- ↑ Aras Baskauskas on the San Juan Del Sur Episode Recap
- ↑ Survivor Worlds Apart Episode 13 Recap Aras Baskauskas Podcast
- ↑ Survivor Kaoh Rong Episode 4 Recap with Aras Baskauskas
- ↑ Survivor 33, Episode 3 Recap with Aras Baskauskas
- ↑ Survivor 34, Episode 10 Recap | Aras Baskauskas
- ↑ The LIVE Mr. Survivor 2014 Top 3 Finalist Countdown
- ↑ Mr. Survivor 2014 Finalist Interview: Aras Baskauskas
- ↑ Crowning Miss and Mr. Survivor 2014 in our Final Results Show
- ↑ The Survivor Roast of Rob Cesternino